There were a couple of good and contrasting points made above, and I
think both are valid.

I agree with the assessment that LMS has its quirks and isn't perhaps
the friendliest game to get into.  It's showing its age with regard to
streaming services, etc., and of course the abandonment by Logitech
didn't help things.  From that regard, perhaps it could use an overhaul,
but that isn't always straight forward.  I've seen a few other software
change over to Open Source, and it isn't the smoothest thing, even if
everything keeps working fairly well.

As for the other side of the comment about being able to work, tinker,
build, troubleshoot; that argument is fine, but both points of view
shouldn't be mutually exclusive.  I like to work under the hood and
understand software, but when I start with any new program, I want to
see it work without much effort.  I can only figure out what I want to
tinker with after I see it work in its default settings.  I always find
it frustrating when things have to be tweaked from the beginning because
it doesn't work out of the box.

Of course LMS did work out of the box for me, mostly, almost 10 years
ago when I started with it.  It's the unfortunate aftermath of Logitech
discontinuing development that has led to the challenges today.  Some
bugs persist from the beginning and stream services now are not the same
as they were then.  I am most thankful that it has been allowed to
continue on.  I like hearing there are other servers and systems coming
about, but as long as LMS works for me, I'll stick with it, perhaps
comforted by the knowledge as other systems might be adequate in the
future when or if the need arises to switch from LMS.