majones wrote:
> Well, I'm gobsmacked. I gave it a go per Ralphy's excellent guidance and
> photos, and despite my not having used a soldering iron for 40 years it
> all came together beautifully. A few tips. A bright guy on YouTube (Mr
> Carlson's Lab) said to twist the electrolytic capacitors and snap them
> off rather than the fiddly job of desoldering. It worked really well,
> and I had good access to then clean-up the PCB pads with flux and solder
> wick. Then I used the Kemet multilayer ceramic capacitors because they
> lie flat and are easy to locate (but look nothing like capacitors).

My soldering skills were pretty bad at the best of times, and my
soldering iron is my Dad's from the 50s! Just wondering if I mess up
removing these capacitors, or putting new ones in, presumably the
digital outputs will continue to work? So then I can just get a DAC...
Am very tempted to twist them off as described elsewhere.

Also I am not sure whether to go for C16/20 or C21/23? I want the RCA
outputs to work, not the headphones. Regarding whether they are
correctly polarised, the black stripe on C16 is to the left away from
the PCI card, C20 is to the right, and on the C21 & C23 it is at the
bottom.