Given that this ppears to be a recurring issue, I thought I would just
note how I solved it (for the moment, of course - nothing is absolutely
for ever with networking or any software, actually!)

The issue started after I had an update for Win10, after a considerable
period during which I had two Touchs, plus sometimes a Duet and of
course Squeezelite-X running quite perfectly in all respects, so far as
I could tell.

Having read my way through tons of threads, and having received specific
advice from Apesbrain, I also found this from sgmlaw on another thread
.. -

'One of the best things you can do in any server-based environment is
assign a fixed local IP address to the server machine itself.

This will make the clients' job much easier going forward, especially
those that NV cache networking settings through reboots and updates.
Everything they need is always at the same local address, every time,
without fail.

LMS is no different in this regard. Our SB clients can always locate the
server, with the occasional exception of our Receiver, which
occasionally balks at a final connection without intervention from the
Controller.

While we use DHCP for clients that are constantly logging on and off,
all major static network resources (always-on elements such as servers,
NAS and other data hubs, printers and switches, etc,) get static
addresses. You will have a much more trouble-free network environment if
the major pieces are always in the same place. Place these static
resources out of the assigned DHCP range, and even the most poorly
designed DHCP server can handle it. You will rarely need 'finder' apps
to hunt down moving resources again.

After decades of networking, this is the best way to do it. '

I already had the server machine assigned a reserved IP address, so I
just added reserved addresses for the Touchs (and the printer too) &
also updated LMS to the latest overnight build - (7.9.2 - 1545144292 ),
noting that there where some possibly siginificant performance
efficiency enhancements in 7.9.2 over 7.9.1.

One of my Touchs was also extremely closely positioned next to a large
soundbar underneath the TV, so that may also have affected the system.

Fingers crossed, heavy duty FLACS are now playing everywhere without any
rebuffering at all!!

Thank you to all the helpers on this forum - your expertise & common
sense are absolutely invaluable!

Andrew