beels wrote:
> Well, philippe, I think you have inspired me to re-cap board.  Thanks so
> much for the part numbers!  It would've taken me a long time to get all
> the part numbers, and I might have made errors.  I went through your
> list and noticed that you didn't mention the 2 through-hole caps.  Do
> you replace those as well?  I think I will go ahead and replace those
> while I have everything apart.
>
> I have never done any SMT soldering before, but these are pretty large
> components, so I believe I can do it.  I have a good solder station.  It
> will take me longer than an hour though.  You must be very proficient.
>
> Do you think I will be OK to use 63/37 leaded solder, or do I need to
> use lead-free?
>
> I'm still a little concerned about the Q2 transistor.  Are you able to
> please tell me some test values for that component?

- I did not replace the thru-hole capacitors
- You can remove the capacitors using this method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8N9O3a9jiM - I've used that everytime
and the tracks on the SB3 motherboard are strong enough. Just maintain
the top of the capacitor while you twist it to not rock it
- I use 63/37paste and a fine tip for my solder iron, hot (300C)
- Put a bit of solder paste on each pad, maintain gently the capacitor
with one finger on the top and solder one pad
- the other pade is easy to solder and you can potentially use flux to
redo/improve the first pad
- when you're done with all of them, clean the flux with 99% alcool

I'll try to open one of my SB and measure the Q2 (unless Jo has some
advice here)

AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5