DomieMic65 wrote:
> I admit I didn’t know about piCore/LMS until last few weeks.
>
> Since then I was using Volumio, MoOde and mainly Archphile as music
> playing OSs on my rpis as complete systems or as renderers for server
> running on my NAS.
> Long story short I wanted an even lighter client for for my rpis because
> I thought that there is no need to have all the library management and
> GUI of the above OSs because I was using the rpi only for playing.
> So I found LMS/piCore. I set up two systems in two houses science then
> and I am trying to read and learn as much I can.
>
> I also read searching around in the net that upnp is a very weak
> protocol.
> Why is this? I see that it used from very respected manufacturers as
> Melco to name one on their machines.
>
> What is the advantage of the piCore/LMS system vs a server (minim
> maybe?)/upnp system?
>
> Thanks in advance and sorry if I don’t express some things in the right
> technical way but I think you get my point!
>
> Michael

One advantage is that SB players - including pCP - work to a standard.
uPnP/DLNA is a very loose standard where one device might work but
otherrs don't.
However the biggest benefit is with playlist management you simply can't
do what LMS can with any uPnP server I have ever come across.

Have you tried the following LMS plugin's yet ? These are also things
you don't get in uPnP.

Material - html5 skin
Music & Artist Information - often refereed to as MAI. Adds bio, album
review, lyrics etc and works very well with Material
Radio Paradise - esoteric Rock station that broadcasts in FLAC.
BBC iPlayer - BBC Radio
Spotty - adds Spotify if you have a Premium Account

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng