I updated my fan control script to keep a log of the amount of time that
the fan is 'on', and then went a bit nerdy (nerdier?), and worked out
the duty cycle for several different set temperatures.  So on a hot
summer's day, inside a hot amplifier, my RPi4 4GB running LMS and
Squeezelite sits naturally at about 67 to 68 degrees.  My little fan
running off 3.3V can pull it down to about 52 degrees

[image:
http://www.cjh.me.uk/MyPhotobucket/cache/DIYHifi/Fan%20Duty_480.jpg]

So on the basis that 68 degrees is still some way short of the 80
degrees that causes throttling, and is therefore considered safe (?) by
the manufacturers, that's where I've set my fan control.  This means
that it's not being triggered under normal conditions, but if the load
on the Pi increases then it kicks in.