pkfox wrote:
> Sounds like a pretty cool setup - one thing you didn't mention is what
> your music files sit on - this can affect scan time big time. I have
> mine on a M2 SSD and scan time is 2 or 3 minutes. You can get an M2 to
> USB caddy and plug it in to the pi - another thing to keep in mind with
> pi's is the power supply ( get a good one ) and get a good quality
> powered USB hub for any accessories ( like an external drive ).

My music is on an external USB 2TB hard disc drive, powered directly by
a mains adapter. Same disc, same power supply as when it was plugged in
to the Vortexbox. The Pi has an 'official' power supply, allegedly as
good as they get. The HAT is the only thing connected to the Pi that
draws power. I'd love to have the music on an SSD, but the price in NZ
will have to tumble a lot before I splash out the kind of money the
dealers want at the moment. At today's exchange rate, the known brands
are around GBP350-400 for 2TB M.2, and often more for the bigger boxes -
approaching ten times the price of a hard disc. I've got 2 x SSD in my
PC and enjoy the comparatively fast boot and program load times.

In the Pi forums, where I understand only some of what I read, there is
comment that the bottleneck could be some chip that does conversion
between USB and SATA with the Pi 3B's on-board chip being a relative
slowcoach. For the moment, going to bed and leaving the Pi to complete a
full scan works for me - and probably will until SSD prices meet my
budget!

Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP >
Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
Library: External USB drive
Android: Squeezer app