GeeJay wrote:
> Is noise an issue with any of these solutions? I also use Mac mini (ten
> heads old now) as my music server, with a Pi as my streaming device.
> It’s. Quiet operation, which is necessary since it’s in the same room as
> my main stereo.
>
> I’m looking to upgrade, since I’m starting to have performance issues
> with the Mini. Would like to transition to something else before it
> gives out or is hopelessly out of date. It’s been a wonderful host for
> my local music and LMS for ten years, but I need to plan for the
> future!
>
> Btw, cost isn’t a big issue for me...most concerned with ease of set up
> and reliability.  I’m in an all-Apple household, fwiw.
>

> Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have two pi-based LMS servers:

1. My main server, a Pi 3B with music files on a QNAP NAS, as described
in an earlier post. Fan noise from the QNAP would be an issue if it was
in my living room, as would flashing lights. But the system is upstairs
next to the router, so it's out of the way.

2. My secondary server, also a Pi3B with files on a 2Tb SSD drive. This
is intended for use in my office, if I ever return from enforced working
from home. It is totally silent, and has no visible flashing lights
either!

I am mostly a mac user, except from the Raspberry Pi devices and the
QNAP, which of course are running Linux. Work systems are Windows-based.
I don't think I'd run LMS on my MacBook.

Robert

*Home: *Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS8.0.0/Material  with files on
QNAP TS-251A
Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega
Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare
Pi2/piCorePlayer
*Office:* LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3;  Raspberry Pi 3 player with
touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob