d6jg wrote:
> Is the headphone out on your Beresford DAC independent of the main line
> out? Can you listen to the Chrome dongle while someone else watches TV
> with sound via your hifi?

Surely that would require two DACs?

On the back of the Beresford DAC there are two pairs of RCA output
sockets labelled fixed and variable, but both output the same analogue
output from the one (stereo) DAC. The output signal is always available
on the fixed pair; but on the variable pair (the other side of the
volume control) the signal is muted when headphones are plugged in.
(Beresford DACs 7510 ane 7520 work like this, later models don't.)

The fixed output goes to the integrated amp which has its own volume
control. The headphones are always plugged in. If I want to listen to
the TV through the HiFi speakers I turn the amp on. Whether it is on or
off the phones are working, and the volume control on the DAC sets their
level.

The TV is set to output to the internal speakers and the optical socket
simultaneously, but the volume on the TV remote is set to zero all the
time.

If one person wanted to listen to the TV and the other in the room
wanted to listen to music, the TV remote volume could be turned up and
the amp left off. It never happens in our house!

That is as close as I can get to what I think you want.

An older TV might have an analogue line out (on RCA sockets or on a
SCART) which could be routed to another input on the HiFi Amplifier, and
selected on the Amp. I could do that with my last TV. That would achieve
what you ask.

Brian

In UK: rPi4 running LMS, Chromecast Audio Dongle and Chromecast Video
Dongle attached to TV - Beresford DAC - Quad 77 Integrated Amp  - AVI
Neutron 4 Speakers - Sennheiser HD25 Headphones. Boom in Bedroom.

In Nicosia: LMS running on a small form factor Windows PC, Beresford DAC
into Quad 405-2 and MB Quart 980s