My perception is that LMS works well for those willing to learn the
technical stuff surrounding the SB and LMS system.  It is not the best
option for the person that simply wants to plug and play and not have to
worry about which server is providing the music.  The UE Radio was
Logitech's attempt to make it easier, but it did not go well with the
base of existing customers using SB and LMS.

Many years ago, when SB was still being manufactured, a friend was
interesting in having a music server.  I recommended she look into a
Sonos because of the issue you are describing.  Not to mention at the
time, for me, LMS was unstable, but eventually the software improved.

Not a really an answer to your question, but more of a commentary that
the SB/LMS works great for those technically inclined, and less so for
the play and play.

Paul