The problem I had was, Mp3tag is set by default to
only write ID3v1 tags.  So you can write whatever
you want in there, it appears to write correctly
due to the text caching feature of Mp3tag, but
it's written truncated.

When I switched to ID3v2 tags, Mp3tag just took
the truncated data from the ID3v1 tag, wrote it
into an ID3v2 tag and deleted the ID3v1 tag.

SlimServer then picked up the ID3v2 tag, which
contained truncated data formerly in an ID3v1 tag.

I've never seen the merge function you describe,
but that's not surprising considering I had all
ID3v1 then went to all ID3v2, never having very
many files with both tags.

I only play back MP3s in SlimServer, my PocketPC
and foobar, and all handle ID3v2 fine.

And for those wondering, this isn't limited to
classical music or techno - just try anything by
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (31 characters).
You'd think it was a duo, that Tom only had one
Heartbreaker with him.  ;-)

JJZolx wrote:
> Mark Lanctot Wrote:
>
>>So thanks for the help everyone, and I'm sorry if
>>I misled anybody.  But I did learn something and I
>>hope someone else did too - get rid of those evil
>>ID3v1 tags!
>
> I don't understand the conclusion you've come to.
Just use both.  Any
> program I've ever used will merge them - meaning it
uses the longer of
> the two values when the v2 tag value isn't the same
as the v1.  And
> some mp3 playback devices still don't support v2
tags.

--

  Mark Lanctot