kdf Wrote:
> With an SB1, apple lossless is transcoded to WAV/AIFF.  The sb1 also
> has a small buffer (less than 1s) so any network delays can cause
> hiccups, especially if used over wireless.  Some users have no problem
>
> (I was one of those), others had trouble getting it to work.  It was
> probably part of the motive behind the much larger buffer in the SB2
> and the use of FLAC.  There was a hope that SB1 would get flac support,
>
> but the investigation into it showed that the CPU in the SB1 wasn't up
>
> to the task.  Hence, SB2/3 uses a much more powerful cpu.
>
> One help for SB1 wireless is to use bitrate limiting, set at 320.
> Unfortunately, this means mp3.
>
> -kdf

Very helpful, thank you!

So if I were to just bite the bullet and buy a SB2, would I get:

A) Higher resistance to audio dropouts
B) Higher audio quality when streaming Apple Lossless?

So does the transcoding process on the SB1 maintain the lossless audio
quality or does it downsample?  What about the SB2?  I'm not concerned
with the transcoded file format but I would prefer that it maintains
its lossless quality.

Thanks!

--
hualon