> mikeb Wrote:
>> A heart-beat sent to the server by each client
>> with a frame number and ntp time synched time stamp would allow the
>> server to send a signal to the client to advance the track 3 frames to
>> catch up with the other clients.
>
> Personally, that's not a route I would prefer.
>
> Assuming the drift of the timebase (crystal?) in the squeezeboxen is
> fairly low but there is some individual variation amongst them, a
> better correction would be, at startup time, establish error in the
> crystal and correct for it low in the timing chain.
>
> Dropping frames, as you propose, would be audible. Correcting the clock
> errors could be done much more fine-grained.
>
> Michael

either would be a vast improvement over the current situation though. I
tend to prefer the idea of dropping frames because I don't assume that the
clock is the only source of error. In fact, if I had to guess what causes
the synchronization issues that are seen now, I'd blame the TCP stack.

Anyway, as others have noted, multicast doesn't like wireless.

--
Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org:  It's A Scientific Venture...
"Believe what you're told; there'd be chaos if everyone thought for