I too find the slim interface to my music collection "wrong".

I started out using an audiotron, which had roughly the same interface
to music. It was too restrictive, so I wrote my own.

The problem, as I see it, is that there are many different ways you
want to go "at" your music collection, and any single paradigm is going
to be wrong much of the time.

You need the ability to switch quickly.

(a second problem is that the use of a web browser imposes a delay that
slows everything to a crawl)

As a hobby DJ, I have found that people remember songs in the damnest
ways, and so you have to be able to search for them (fast) in the
oddest ways.

I have somewhat solved this problem by writing my own app (in foxpro)
to go looking for music. It basically treats the music as an table of
artists, song titles, genres, durations, song speeds (because I DJ for
dancers, the speed of the song may be important), etc. At the top of
each column is a "speed search" box. Typing any phrase into a box on
the top of any column restricts the table to any song with that phrase
in that tag. So "swing" in the genre speed search box gets me all the
ones I categorized as swing in the genre tag, while the same "swing" in
the title box gets me "Sing me a Swing Song (and let me dance)" by Ella
(and many more, of course). There are also little sort up-down icons,
and some more less relevant stuff.

Of course, for the BPM box, typing in a value makes little sense. But
there are still the sort up-down arrows.

It took (quite) a while to set up but it works for me, the way I like
to look at music. Notice that while album is one of the tags, it's
usually not an important one for me. Because I play single songs. In a
home setting, you might well want to play whole albums, and there it
would be different. That's why this specialized view might not be for
everyone.

--
Michaelwagner