Well prompted!  I put mysql on my server last week in order to serve
another application.  Your post prompted me to take the obvious step of
making SlimServer use it.  Following the wiki entry, it took me an
obsolute maximum of 5 minutes to set up.  I'd say things definitely
seem faster as a result, although I've not had much time to check.  I'm
convinced that random mix now takes less time to select tracks - the gap
between starting a mix and the first song starting to play seems much
shorter.

Max

--
max.spicer

The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible
teeth
and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws
but Max stepped into his private boat and waved good-bye