I'm a avid user of AMX gear. Furthermore, as you're probably aware, I
wrote an AMX module for NetLinx (in partnership with Fred, who did all
the CLI work).  If you weren't aware of it, here's a screen shot:

http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=62827

The module is released in binary form, but you're free to download
sources from SourceForge.  I welcome patches so everyone can benefit.

I've had very good experience with AMX gear, and have been using it
since 1999 with complete, 100% success.

That said, although I know little about Crestron, my understanding is
that, other than different programming philosophies, the two systems
are quite good and quite capable.  AMX uses more of a programming
language, Crestron uses more of a GUI arrangement, making it harder to
do stuff that the Crestron folks didn't consider upfront.

If you're having lots of problems making Crestron work "quite right",
it might be more your skill level (and understanding of the platform)
rather than the platform itself.  Or perhaps issues with the lighting
system working consistently or something.  Again, this is based solely
of what I've been told of the Crestron platform from folks that
understand both AMX and Crestron quite well.

I've never had any problems making the AMX NetLinx system work
perfectly using a wide range of different hardware.  As I add something
in my household (like the Squeezebox), the AMX NetLinx system
accommodates the changes just fine.  So, if you're looking for
recommendations, the AMX NetLinx system is a very good and capable
automation system.

-- Jeff

--
Jeff