seanadams Wrote:
> They would need internet access anyway to pull Pandora steams - can you
> explain in more detail?

I guess it depends on the details of the Pandora protocol, and which
bits are secret (and at this point I'm 100% guessing). I'm assuming
it's a single, persistent stream into which the tracks are played -
much like the stream.mp3 you can get from slimserver. In that case, the
SB connects to the Pandora server via your slimserver just like with a
normal streaming station. When you need to login, choose channels, or
interact in some way (I assume this is the secret bit) the plugin sends
a request to the SN server, which talks over the secure channel to the
Pandora server, which changes what you're listening to.

Another option is to put the secret stuff in a binary and ship that
with a regular plugin acting as a wrapper - similar to the way closed
drivers are sometimes shipped for Linux.

And yet another way (which is what was mentioned earlier) is for a
firmware change to allow the SB to transparently switch from local
slimserver to the SN server when you select Pandora.

I'd be happy with any of those options, and in the last case would be
happy to open up the SBs to the outside world (the other cases wouldn't
need that as the local slimserver proxies for them) - I'm not that
fussy. I guess I just see a firmware change like that being pretty big
and maybe not so fast to happen...whereas plugin stuff tends to move
pretty quick.

I guess my main point was that the current situation of having to log
out of one server and into another would mean that practically speaking
I'd probably rarely use it - which would be a shame. I know it sounds
lazy but I've had enough troubles getting SBs to connect that I like to
leave them alone once they're working :)

--
radish