jonheal Wrote:
> I just noticed a link for doing an MX lookup on the page I referenced
> above.
>
> According to MX Toolbox, Slimdevices' SMTP server DOES appear on two
> DNS-based blacklists:
>
> http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html
> http://www.spews.org/

That's assuming, of course, that Slim Devices sends email from the same
IP address where they receive it.

In Slim Devices' case it happens to be true (at least it was for the
one email I've ever received from Support) but it's not really a safe
assumption in general.  I would hope that any tool that helped you look
up an MX record for the purposes of determining if an organization's
*sent* email would be subject to blacklisting would mention this
caveat.

These days spam is far more likely to come from one of zillions of
compromised PCs on broadband links than from accidentally
mis-configured corporate mail gateways.  Given that, the whole idea of
blacklisting spam emitters is questionable since it no longer serves as
leverage to get the person responsible for the host to close the hole.
Now blacklists serve only as directories of potentially available
relays for spam senders.  (Yes, spammers do use these blacklists this
way)

Of course, the operators of these lists are now quite invested in them
and aren't really open to the idea that they may be anachronistic and
doing more harm than good.

--
rudholm