Pale Blue Ego Wrote:

> 2 - a premium remote control dedicated to making the SB experience
> easier, more fun and enjoyable.  It would have a bright, vivid color
> LCD screen at least 320 x 240 pixels.  Album art and track details are
> displayed as the song plays.  Browse by album cover is possible (touch
> screen?).  Backlighting is essential.  RF is standard, so you don't
> need line-of-sight.  These technologies tend to be pretty expensive, so
> the remote might cost more than the actual SB!  I'm thinking in the $300
> - $500 range.  A lot of people would want it, though.  It's a nice
> upgrade for existing SB die-hards, and I'm guessing a significant
> number of new orders would go for the upgrade remote, too.

Nokia 770 does the following:
700x480(!) bright, backlit, beautiful resolution
802.11g/b/a WiFi
Touchscreen
Opera web browser
sub $400

Nokia770 skin (6.5 only), does the following:
Browse by cover art in two different methods
Displays cover art and track info of song that is playing
Enhanced playlist viewing/editing
Ajax-enabled code for richer user experience
(added yesterday) Support for Michael Herger's excellent Biography and
Album Review plugins

The Nokia 770 internet tablet is not without its shortcomings, but I
thought I'd throw this in since your description is basically *exactly*
what the 770 does today. FWIW, you can also stream slim directly to it
and listen with
headphones...(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimserverAndNokia770)

cheers,
#!/ben

btw-- my vote, hands down, is for a portable squeezebox. I'd put AM/FM
on it because that's probably cheap to do anyway, and makes it usable
outside of your Slimserver WiFi range. Do a partnership with Sonic and
integrate a T-amp, stick some decent speakers on it, fab a box for the
thing, and call it done. I'd call it something like Squeeze!Boom!Box!
or Squeezeboom.

--
bklaas