Siduhe Wrote:
> I would start again - create a fresh and empty folder for your Playlists
> and point Slimserver to that.  Then add in one playlist only, and
> (important this) created via the Slimserver web interface.  Then rescan
> playlists with the debugging flag on.  If that works, ok - try adding
> your existing playlists one at a time, rescanning after each.
Thanks a lot for this Siduhe, it's been very useful. I've done what you
suggested, which has led to a bit clean up of my music files (totally
deleting all my album m3u files held in individual album directories,
changing some remaining .cue files to .cue_ and adjusting a playlist or
two that refernces non-existant music).

I've reached the conclusion that my problem is due to some very large
playlists (some with 500 songs plus) coupled with a slow machine and
the way that SlimServer scans playlists.

It looks to me that whenever I add a new playlist and choose "Scan
playlists only" SlimServer than rescans all my playlists, whether they
have changed or not since the last scan. Due to this and my large
playlists SlimServer ends up scanning a considerable proportion of my
music library.

I don't know how many people might find this a problem (not many have
such an underpowered Slimserver machine as I do) but it strikes me that
some timestamping would cure my problem. I.e. might it be a reasonable
idea if SlimServer only scanned playlists that have been modified since
it's last scan?
If this happened I could make a playlist on my PC and then listen to it
almost immediately downstairs on my hifi. Currently I have to wait a
long time before I can do this.

Is this a silly idea or might it be worth filing an enhancement?

Again, thanks.

BTW. How can I directly access the log file. I can't find it anywhere.

MC

--
ModelCitizen

Squeezebox2 > Benchmark Dac1 > Naim NAC 82 > Naim NAP 250 > Shahinian
Arcs.
Music catalog: http://modelcitizen.mine.nu/music.txt