It is configured for WDS, as a repeater, I think.

My recent minor tribulation with the new firmware (the SB2 having a hissy fit and refusing to connect wirelessly, maybe because I'd typed in the WPA2 password wrongly the first time, until I'd reinstalled the firmware) led me to try connecting it to the AE via ethernet. I expect that this is the explanation (of which I had no appreciation at all until this) for the reason I was so pleased with the result. The EyeHome, though, does not in itself have wireless, so the AE MUST be used as a bridge for that - and I still can't get it to work properly. 20Mbps tops would explain that, too. I wonder if I could try it with the Netgear, 8345GT which allegedly chucks out 108Mbps...... Thanks, Kevin. Very helpful suggestions, and food for thought!