I wrote this early on, but you chose to ignore it:

Mark Lanctot;141436 Wrote:
> So there's obviously something wrong with your installation, but still,
> if you have less than 0.5 GB of space left on your HDD (512 MB) it's
> amazing your computer is running at all.  You indicate you have a
> "several GB" system drive.  I take "several" to mean 10 GB or less.  If
> that's the case, you have less than 5% free space.  Many programs will
> not be able to run at all.
>
> SlimServer is obviously misbehaving, but if your hard drive is really
> that full it's not to blame.

There are a fair amount of programs that would have difficulty with
less than 5% free space on the drive.  For one thing, you can't
defragment the drive anymore and it may be very badly fragmented.
Perhaps Windows doesn't have enough room to generate an appropriate
pagefile either.

500 MB of free space sounds like a lot, but for an entire computer OS
partition these days it isn't.

--
Mark Lanctot