I have been mulling this over all day thinking about my reactions to
what was actually quite a shock first thing this morning.  I have two
concerns at this point.

1. One of the major attractions for me about the whole SS/SB thing has
been the incredible responsiveness to user demand and its seemingly
endless capacity for tweaking in all sorts of directions.  If people
look at the SB and think this is just a way to get their mP3s out of
the PC and into the stereo then they are missing a lot.  Just think for
a moment what the current software/hardware combination can do -
multiple file formats, automatic volume levelling, weather forecasts,
scrobbling, cricket scores, wireless bridging, Palm/PPC/Nokia 770
remote control, streaming over the internet to my hotel room,
softsqueeze, synchronised multi-room systems, etc, etc - oh, and damn
fine audio serving as well.   Can we really expect this level of
innovation and "why the hell not?" attitude to continue under a
mass-market, quarterly-profit driven environment?

A vivid example in this area is AlienBBC - one of the primary reasons
for me, as a globally displaced Brit, to spend so much time and money
on my SBs.  This is very much a 3rd party plug in and needs to be
maintained since the BBC will always want to move stuff around.  Also
it is dependent on 3rd party codecs and things like M-player. I believe
that AlienBBC is a magnificent achievement by all of those involved but
it does not seem like the kind of effort that fits well in a structured
corporate set up. I fear for its future.

2. The Transporter is my second area of concern. I can see how the SB3
might fit into a Logitech product line-up as they are obviously moving
into that area, but not the Transporter - it just not feel like a match
for a company founded on mice and keyboards.  And, as others have
pointed out, the high end audio world is unlikely to embrace a Logitech
device as being a credible serious device, however good it is.  And I
believe from my own experience it is a VERY good high end audio source.
I cannot honestly see the Transporter surviving for long under the new
owners (so get one while you can).

Of course I might be completely wrong about all of this...

davep

--
davep