MelonMonkey wrote:
Speed while browsing has drammatically increased.  I mean, I still find
the web interface somewhat slow (Perl is slow, there's no way around
that), but it's simply much faster than it was on the G4.
Perl is not slow, you're talking nonsense. Loads of very big sites are run on Perl. Slashdot is a prime example. Ever heard of the Slashdot effect? It's what happens when Slashdot links to another site and the *other* site goes to it's knees.

Yes, for raw operations C is faster and assembly language is even faster, but in real world speed is limited by disk access times and database transactions. Perl is no slower in accessing databases than assembly language.

Regards,
Peter