The following story caught my eye
http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/03/autonet/index.php as it
describes a forthcoming system for enabling wireless broadband access
in your car via a 3G link to the internet.

I can imagine this a great idea when your stuck in city's traffic jams. But 3G radio just isn't up with the speed we are allowed to drive on highways ;-).

I've been working with a PC card adapter in my laptop which does seemless roaming between WLAN/UTMS/GPRS. But even reading my mail in the train wouldn't work reliably. And that's in Switzerland, where there presumably is no one square km without some kind of network access... I remember when I had better mobile phone access on a 4000m summit than in my flat in the city center.

--

Michael