CCRDude;168956 Wrote:
> Widgets (as shown) obviously need the ability to communicate online, how
> else could the Weather app show its data? And the Google Maps app...
> would you call that web browsing? Looked like a dedicated app. And
> then, it's MacOSX.

I specifically said media, as in music, video and the apps you mention
are from partners.

CCRDude;168956 Wrote:

> I've read a bunch of sites quoting the Keynote, and watched it myself.
> Didn't hear or read that anywhere.

Time magazine, engadget, gizmodo

CCRDude;168956 Wrote:

> So the widgets shown during the keynote are not third-party, and you
> think that they'll contrary to widgets on the other MacOSX, they'll
> limit the number of widgets that can be run? Just take a look on how
> well Apple supported software developers over the past 20+ years.

Widgets are Java based, games in general are native code or on mobile
devices are sometimes J2ME based. OS/X has J2SE. The view from the
street is that it's a closed system to keep Cingular happy. I'm in the
cell phone business and know the market extremely well

CCRDude;168956 Wrote:

> And I always thought that MacOSX is based on BSD... that you could even
> download the Darwin part... might be the GUI is closed source, but since
> its MacOSX, widgets are already well documented and for the rest... do
> you expect Apple to change MacOSX radically to make all the existing
> documentation void, just after they announced they took MacOSX to NOT
> develop something new?

Cellular networks do not allow downloading of any content, only
operator-approved content that they get a cut of. Cingular are heavily
subsidising the device and need to get a good return on their
investment. It's a walled garden to a large extent for apps.

CCRDude;168956 Wrote:

> I'm still sceptical whether typing text on the device would be fast
> enough for me, but there's one thing that's great: they actually cared
> about usage of the PHONE. Take a look at all those smartphones out
> there, and using it to call someone seems to be the most neglected part
> of the whole device.

Agreed, usability is dire on most, if not all, handsets.

--
CardinalFang