Well, I spoke to soon.  I should have tried what kdf suggested before
thanking him.  As it turns out, the brightness level for standby on my
SB was already set for 0.   Otherwise, the time/date would be showing,
and it wasn’t.   I’m surprised nobody had said “if the time/date isn’t
displayed when in standby, the brighness for standby is 0”.  That would
be a simple way to check.  So let me surmise from everything I’ve read,
to use Andy’s fix:  that in fact I need to do nothing, since my standby
brightness is already set for 0.    And that even though a week ago a
downtime message was displayed, despite this brightness=0 setting, in
the future, starting now, my setting will not be overridden by that
transmitted by the SqueezeNetwork server when it transmits a downtime
message.

Unfortunately, this fix is not readily observed, in fact can’t be
observed, unless I can somehow anticipate a downtime message and set
the brightness at that time, and even Andy stated in a previous post
that “I also changed the default to 2, so if for some reason it can't
get your previous brightness setting, it won't be so bright.”  Uh?
Can’t it be tested thoroughly and debugged?  Haste makes waste.

Snarly, you ask: “Do you believe that "Off" on your TV really means
Off? It doesn't. Same with your DVD player and anything that allows you
to turn it back "on" with a remote. See, it has to still have power or
it would be impossible to turn it back on.”.....Snarly, you miss the
point.  By “on” I mean functioning in a way that the user expects when
the on switch is in the on position.  The use of remote controls
doesn’t change this meaning of “on”.  In particular, the cable company
doesn’t wake up your turned off TV when service is interrupted.  Do you
think there is 1 person on the planet who wants it to?   Why does
Comcast not send us messages when our TV’s are off?  Because off means
off (regardless of various currents running through certain circuits.
Even when people are dead they still have currents running through
certain circuits-they're still dead).  People don’t want their TV’s
turning on in the middle of the night to be told “Sorry, we’re down”.
So why does SlimDesigns do this with the SB?   You have to admit it’s a
strange ethic.  Maybe it’s obvious that a TV turning on in the middle of
the night would wake up people, and just not as obvious in the case of
the SB.  But, clearly, it happens, and such a thing, as I’ve already
said, should be impossible.   This is a very simple concept, I don’t
know why anybody would argue with it.

Even with the “fix” Andy has created, he admitted it might not work
sometimes, so his “fix” gives me cold comfort.  Andy has basically
said, here’s something that might work.  That’s worth a D, because I
can’t use it, and will probably end up just disconnecting from the
SqueezeNetwork (left arrow, up arrow, right arrow – the same sequence
gets you back on), which is an easy, unambiguous, and fail safe
solution.  I've gotten workable solutions from help desks in 10-30
minutes, this so-so solution took hundreds of minutes over 7 days -
that's off the charts bad.  So he changes a line of code in a program
that is itself a bad idea (to transmit downtime messages).  Woo Woo!

Azinck3, I’m still confused about the “idle” vs “standby” modes.  Can
you define these for me?  How do you set the “idle” brightness, and
should that be bright or dim?

--
NauticusLX