juniper wrote:
> These two questions are probably so basic that I apologise. "but if you
> dont ask you will never know"
>
> My 1 x SB3 is currently connected to my old stereo amplifier which
> feeds the speakers. Posters here have talked about having multiple SB3s
> (lucky them)  - does this mean multiple amplifiers?

Yes. Most of my SB's use a very cheap but very good little amplifier
called the T-Amp. It looks as cheap as it is, so I have them hidden away.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html (available for around $30)

> Q1. Must an SB3 be connected to an amplifier or can one connect an SB3
> direct to speakers without a separate amplifier. If so disconnecting
> the SB3 in Room 2 and taking it to Room 3 and connecting it to the
> second set of speakers appears practical. Dragging other equipment
> around isn't.

They need amplifiers, but another option is to use active speakers that
have amplifiers built in. My living room setup uses those. A cheap
option is to buy so-called multimedia speakers that are meant to be
connect to PC's. They have amplifiers built in. Check out the Logitech
products:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlist/US/EN,crid=2171,categoryid=421

> Q2. Does the wireless bridge function of the SB3 help in any way with
> connecting additional speakers  in other rooms?

Nope. Any wireless speakers that use wifi would be as expensive as a new
SB. BTW, have you considered picking up an older SB model
(SB1/SB2/SliMP3) second hand from Ebay? An SB1 can be picked up for <
$100 AFAIK.

Regards,
Peter