This doesn’t really sound like the type of setup you’re
after but… this is how I currently pipe music around the house
(and car):

I already had an mp3 player (Creative Zen) and I convert my .flac to
high-end .mp3 format for use with this. I just move this around the
house with a set of cheap PC speakers (as suggested above). It works
well, and the quality is fine for me as background music. The bonus
with having the mp3 is being able to plug it into my car stereo. The
only downside to this is converting the files, but to be honest
it’s only right-click-and-go in foobar2000.

For serious listening, I have the decent amp / speakers / squeezebox
and .flac files in the lounge. When money permits, I will try to buy up
another Squeezebox, but for now this works for me.

--
w4rren