Nice diagram.

> I'd also like to be able to play the same music simultaneously
> in all three locations, which is easy if diagrammed setup
> works, but how to play different music in all three
> locations is unclear right now.

I would not could on glitch free synchronization if there is a
substantial amount of s/w execition and data buffering involved.

>>I'd like to use Squeezeboxes in rooms two and three. However,
?? SS just doesn't have the GUI and tag features I need.

> thats what doesnt make sense to me. my assumption is that the
> MC2Slim allows me to use the MC12 GUI, controlled on my
> pocketpc with NetRemote, to stream audio through the
> slimserver to the squeezebox.

As I said in the earlier post, MC2 Slim didn't seem to be ready for
prime time when I tried it.  My understanding is that MC2Slim (an MC
plugin) doesn't stream audio from MC to SS.  It keeps track of what MC
is playing and tells SS to play that file.  It tries to adjust MC's
position in the file to be in sync with SS.  The result was that MC
playback was jerky.  There were also real problems with installation
and operation.  Some things didn't work right and those problems
weren't documented.

I'll wait until testing and documentation has been done to use MC2Slim
again.

----
What I'd like to see is a driver interface that routes audio output to
one or more squeezeboxes:

- "SB1" and "SB2" appear as (Windows) WaveOut/DirectSound
audio devices in MC 12.
- You select "SB1" as the output device in Zone 2.
- MC 12 outputs audio to the "SB1" device using
the WaveOut interface.
- The "SB1" driver sends the audio stream (raw PCM)
to SS or directly to an SB.

RogueAmoeba sells the Airfoil driver that routes audio output from any
program to an Apple Airport Express.  The analog audio output from AE
isn't great but if you send the digital output into a hugh quality DAC
that is insensitive to jitter, the result would be quite good.

Of course, the SB is a much better engineered product.  It just needs
something like the Airfoil driver.  Perhaps Logitech could just
contract with RogueAmoeba to have them implement the driver.

Bill

--
Listener