HalNineThousand;235672 Wrote:

> I considered, as an alternative, getting a Radio Shark and hooking it
> up to my computer, then letting it put out an MP3 stream that
> Slimserver could pick up, but about half the reviews for Radio Shark
> hate it because of poor reception, so I figure if I want a box that
> lets me switch between local radio and everything Squeezebox offers,
> it'd have to be a Squeezebox with an AM/FM radio built in.

I don't know that I'd count RadioShark out.

My RadioShark (the original version) is attached to my SlimServer host,
in the basement. So there's concrete and a few feet of soil between it
and the air. Still, I get better sound from it than I do from my
80s-era mid-fi receiver and Terk powered antenna in the same room. It
doesn't sound great, but it is much better than the local station's low
bitrate Internet streams.

One thing I like about the RadioShark is that it allows me to
time-shift radio programs much like a VCR. Sure, the MP3 file for a
multi-hour radio show is relatively large, but it's nice not having to
listen "live". Whenever I want, I can listen to old recordings -- or
tune in to what's currently being streamed from the shark. Having tried
the shark, I wouldn't want a playback-only radio device.

BTW, I think RadioTime has some Windows software for time-shifting with
devices like the RadioShark. If you're using Windows, you probably ought
to check that out.

-Peter

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver BottleRocket FuzzyTime SaverSwitcher SleepFade
StatusFirst VolumeLock