Benway;238717 Wrote:
> CPAN has lots of modules for querying FreeDB.
>
> The problem you'll find is that they tend to need the DiscID or
> the cdrom available as /dev/cdrom etc...
>
> Searching through CPAN modules with "freedb id3" finds
> WebService::FreeDB which looks like it
> will do the trick.
>
> However accuracy may be a problem when multiple records are found.

Digging my old CDs out for this would take WAY more time then just
manually searching google for album release year. CDDB is not a good
solution here, esp. because I don't have DiscIDs saved into the tags
either. I started ripping music well before I understood why verbose
tag metadata was a good idea. I'm trying to come up with a solution
that doesn't involve the physical media.

I will give Musicbrainz a shot, though my prior experience with that
service has not been good.

cheers,
#!/ben

--