Fifer;244023 Wrote:
> Isn't it even more bizarre for people who are serious about audio to
> dismiss something on aesthetic considerations? Don't serious audio
> enthuisiasts make decisions based on sound quality rather than
> appearance? Why would a manufacturer restrict the versatility of
> something which fits in the SB3 form factor by housing it in a casing
> more than ten times the volume it needs to be? The SB3 happily fits in
> nooks and spaces where a 19" box would be compeletely impractical. That
> (to me) is versatility, not 'lifestyle'.
>
> I'm obviously just not getting this issue.

I think the problem is that SB3 will be sold in places where
"convenience" and "lifestyle" products are sold by the bucket load -
and, guilty by association, it too will be perceived this way by a
great many people.

Us folks who've embraced the SB3 know what a quality device it is. But
if you aren't too computer savvy, setting it up may be a problem. I
wonder how many SB3s will be returned by customers who haven't
persevered (or just couldn't be bothered) to get in running. It's not a
plug and play device unless you already have your network configured,
Slim Server running, and CDs ripped.

If SB3 is to have a future it has to either live in its current niche
as a great product for those in the know with the ability to get it
running, or be sold with the proper support from the retailer. A great
many people I know would never think about trawling through this forum
for the great advice that the SB3/TP community offer (or even want to).
They need their High Street/Internet/Mall (whatever) retailer to support
them properly.

This, IMO, is Logitech's greatest challenge in taking the SB3, and the
streaming media concept, forward.

--
morris_minor

SB3 > Sonifex RB DAC1 > Musical Fidelity X10v3 > Sudgen Headmaster >
Sennheiser HD 595
Michell Gyrodec SE DC [Tecnoarm, Goldring 1042] > Graham Slee Era V
Gold > [Sugden Headmaster] . . .
Pioneer DV565 universal player, Panasonic DVR, Yamaha DSPAX750SE, Kef
Cresta 30 (fronts), Tannoy Profile 633 (rears)
Mac Mini [1.83GHz, 2Gb], Iomega Minimax 500Gb, LaCie Ethernet BigDisk
1TB, D-Link DSL604+, M-Audio Transit USB, Audiolab 8000A, Monitor Audio
M2s
Crappy old PC - 1GHz Athlon