Just some initial comments.

1. I didn't say only one hardware server. I can't see any reason why
you can't have multiple servers - you just need some load sharing to
manage the incoming conections.  AFAICT this is the basis for
Squeezenetwork which handles 100's of concurrent users in more than one
datacentre.

2. If you are using native formats - then load on slimserver is low as
all it has to do is update screen displays and handle remote keypresses
- it does not stream the audio data if you have server broadcasting.

With respect to a broadcast server - that needs research but as
Slimserver works with many internet sites delivering streamed, on
demand and podcast audio  - I think there are many working solutions -
it's a case of identifying the underlying s/w.

For a sale of 500 SBs - I think you should talk to Logitech direct (
JimC possibly) and see if they can offer advice - perhaps even a hookup
with MP3Tunes.

--
bpa