Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Thinking about this - it might be!  In my situation, I have a static IP
> network.  If I get an SBR and turn it on, how can I tell it what its IP
> address will be?  It can't get on the network.  Chicken-and-egg?
>
> DHCP makes things a little easier but as many posts on this forum show,
> DHCP is far from foolproof.

A PC application doesn't have to communicate over IP. It can use
ethernet broadcasts to discover SB devices and configure them over raw
ethernet.

Alternatively an SBR could have a default IP address and netmask, the
config app would create a temporary route to that IP and configure it.

Regards,
Peter