Brian: thanks for the reply.

Hiring a pro.
I will check into this.  The house is currently gutted right down to
the studs.  We are currently framing the walls and we (i.e. our
contractor) will be adding plumbing, electrical and structured wiring
before any drywall goes up.  I was thinking we could do the speaker
wiring ourselves (don't run parallel to electric wires, especially
240V, use proper gauge, respect building codes), but I will take your
advice and consult with a local pro.

Kitchen speakers.
Given our open concept plan, there are few walls to handle the
mechanicals like plumbing.  As a result, there will be a bulkhead in
the shape of a rectangular solid that will run the length of the
kitchen ceiling along an exterior wall directly above the counter.  I'm
not entirely sure of the bulkhead's dimensions but it will run the
length of the room (~16 ft) and be 1-1.5 ft by 1-1.5 ft.  The ceiling
is 9.5 ft, and the bulkhead is fitted just below it, so it will be
8-8.5 ft above the floor.

My impression that preferences for speaker placement from an audio
standpoint is:
1) external, with speakers pointed in general direction of audience
2) in wall, with speakers mounted at listener's ear height
3) in ceiling

I would like to have the speaker's mounted on brackets, but I think my
wife will find them unsightly.  She wants a very clean appearance.
Further, there will be cabinets all along that wall so I won't be able
to place in-wall speakers at ear height. If I do put flush-mounted
speakers in the bulkhead (which will provide some cavity space), will
they be better pointed downwards (in-ceiling speakers) or horizontally
(in-wall speakers)?

local stations:
I have not explored SB's streaming possibilities.  Thanks for
mentioning this--I will search for local streams.  We listen mostly to
Winnipeg CBC Radio One so it will likely be fine w/o a tuner.

I will check out Paradigm, too.

Greg

--
grego.speiser