> He said that owning films was pointless and renting them much better. He
> said that didn't apply to music where people wanted to hear the same
> thing many times.

That's not quite accurate; he didn't say "pointless" but did say that music was
listened to many times and movies were often watched only a time or two and in
that setting a rental model makes sense.

You don't have to believe me, though; you can watch the keynote yourself.

Personally, I think a rental model for movies works fine.  I rent movies now
and would rent them via Apple TV if I had one.  I wish you had a week to watch
them once started instead of 24 hours, but that's me.

I buy some movies that I think are worth watching over and over, but most are
something I only want to watch once and paying a rental fee is cheaper in that
setting.

> By that does not mean a music subscription service would not work.

I agree.  I subscribe to Pandora and enjoy it.  I know others like Rhapsody.
Those services may not enjoy the success of iTunes Music Store, but they appear
viable.  I still buy most of my music, though.

> date none of them have proved that popular, but that's probably becuase
> you have to be connected to the net and mostly have to play the music on
> the PC (the Slimdevices Rhapsody serives is an exception).

Agree here, too.  If it were not for my Squeezeboxen I wouldn't subscribe to
Pandora; I don't listen to mucis on my computer much.

>Would you pay
> $20 a month for all the music in the world if it included the ability to
> copy it to your iPod? I think many would...

I wouldn't, but certainly others might.

> It's also perfect for Apple becuase the security around making sure the
> music on the portable player expires when the subscrciption expires

DRM certainly benefits from a closed eco-system.  Still, I predict this will be
hacked so you can save movies in virtually no time.  I guess we'll see.

Kevin