OK, I can create a new playlist within SlimServer and it will play.
Here's a sample line from the playlist I just created and tested:

F:\music\ext\Compilations\I'll Take You There\03. Aretha Franklin -
(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman.flac

...and here's a sample line from one of the empty playlists in the same
directory
F:\music\ext\Blues\Nina Simone\Saga of the Good Life and Hard Times\06.
Do I Move You (Version 2).flac

(in those paths \ext\ is a shortcut that links from my mapping in
slimServer - c:\music\ to the external harddrive.

So all the music is running from the external harddrive mounted as F: -
and the edits I made to the existing playlists should allow them to
play.

Hrm. What's next?

BTW, I got an unsolicited eMail from SlimDevices support yesterday and
we're working on it, but I thought you would want another piece of
evidence to chew on. If support comes up with a solution, I'll post it
here for future searches...

/pRC

--
pRC