Assuming your PVR has done the same as they do on DVDs you have an MPEG
interleaved streams with MPG layer 2 video and either PCM or MPG layer
3 audio. Since you mention that the file size increases significantly
you probably have an MPG3 audio stream.

To use most of the audio tools you will need to destream it and that
takes a video tool. I think something like TMPGEnc can destream.

Once you have the separate files you can edit the audio though you
don't really need a tool that will edit at the compressed frame level
since you are going to FLAC. You might as well just expand it out to
WAV (PCM) and edit at that level since all the FLAC conversion will do
is compress lossless the WAV. Saves all the problems with frame
accurate editing.

The tool that you mention, I don't know it, may just be able to export
the audio element. If it doesn't one tool I have used on video is Edit
Studio from Pure Motion which can edit the interleaved video stream and
then output independant audio/video files.

--
Zaragon