hey puzzler - and i thought i was the only one using LONG playlists in
shuffle mode! ;-)

mine are only ~800 songs, but i agree the delay is there. on my system,
it took about 15-20 sec. for SS 6.x to start playing the lists shuffled.
while not instantaneous, i can live with that.
i have a severley resource starved server: 700 MHz PIII equivalent VIA
ITX MoBo with 1GB and it is running LOTS of stuff.

how long are you waiting?

i am not sure if this will help you, but i discovered something just
recently...
my playlist manager (personal playlist manager plugin for winamp) seems
to be adding junk to my playlists. i had a playlist called "mood groovy"
which had ~700 tracks in it and was ~85KB in size. when i accidentally
re-saved it from inside winamp, it shrunk to 14KB and all 700 tracks
all still there! go figure...

anyways, i am imagining my SS 6 is faster now, it rarely needs more
than 10 sec. to load "mood groovy" shuffled.

here is what i did: opened "mood groovy" in winamp. immediately
re-saved it (different file name) -> shrunk to 14KB. re-scanned
playlists in SS. done!

maybe you want to try that?

other than that, i really wouldnt know either - sorry!

--
dcote