>From time to time I would like to play a temporary 'music', or perhaps
podcast, file thru SlimServer. But, I do not want to have to either
fully or partially rescan everything.

Using the WaveInput plugin is one option but may be beyond my novice
skills. However, a simpler alternate that occurred to me might be to:
setup a few temporary untagged files that I let Slimserver scan, guess
tags, etc. Then when I want to temporarily play something, I then
simply substitute new mp3 or flac data in the file leaving the name
alone.

For example, suppose I set up a new file directory in my 'Music' folder
called: 'zzz temp music to play'. In the directory, I put some mp3 and
flac files that either do not have tags or have the tags deleted.
Example file names might be: a.mp3, b.mp3, c.flac, etc. I can even
cobble up a play list called 'zzz temp music to play'

I then let SlimServer rescan the 'Music' folder which would then pickup
the new files and the 'zzz temp music to play' playlist.

Then when I want to play a particular mp3 file, I simply copy it to the
above and change its name to an existing prescanned file like 'a.mp3'.

Is this likely to work?
It presumes, of course, that the scan doesn't actually care what is
inside the file as long as it's name is consistent with the previously
scanned name.

If 'a.mp3' sometimes had or did not have tags --or if the tags changed
from time to time-- would that mess up this cobbled up plan?

Any input would be most welcome.  Thanks

--
dickmc

Dick
Squeezebox2 on wired LAN:  -Hosfelt linear pwr and DAC audio out mods
-
Sansui QRX9001 quad:   -Resoldered and recaped incl BlackGates in audio
path-
Onkyo T-4711 tuner
Sherwood Newcastle CD-980T
Four Axiom M22ti