Pat Farrell;267573 Wrote:
> ehjones wrote:
> > Is 2 years of life all we should be expecting from slim devices
> > hardware?
>
> Is this a Serious question?
>
> In case it is, the answer is "not hardly."
>
> I have a SqueezeBox 1, non-G that works perfectly. There are many folks
>
> with SliMP3 that work. I don't know how old a SB1 is, but its many
> years. I've bought three SB1s, all of which pre-date the SP2, which
> predates your SB3.

While I agree with your sentiment, there are some reasonably big
differences between the SB1 and SB2 in terms of CPU and decoder.  I
also have a SB2 with a wireless card that died after 6 months causing
the whole box to look dead.  Thankfully SlimDevices was just down the
road from my place and replaced the card on the spot the day after I
contacted support.

After replacement the SB2 has been great.  However it's still only a
couple years old.  Time will tell if the SB3 design lasts as long as
the previous designs.

My first Empeg car box lasted 7 years (with the occasional drive
replacement) without a hitch.  It still works, but I decided to replace
it with my spare due to the original having a slightly flaky volume
knob.

I'm glad Slim has been building hardware with longevity in mind, and
has been doing amazing things with software updates for old hardware
that I don't expect out of other companies.  This is why I keep
promoting their stuff to everyone I know who is even the slightest bit
a music geek.

--
SuperQ