ok, no amount of twiddling and tweaking with SS 6.5.5 solved the
problem. even unsynched, i was getting stops+crashes when playing
ogg/vorbis.

so i took the plunge and installed SC 7 in the feb. 18th build.

firstly, let me say that i am impressed with the improvements. my first
brush with SC7 was in dec. 07 and it was a bad one, because the scan
wouldnt complete (i waited over two hours) and it seemed *slow*.

this time, it installed perfectly, started up perfectly, scanned
perfectly and even seems faster than my old SS 6. :-)

i have been playing ogg/vorbis with SC7 over night now (104 tracks so
far) and NO stops or crashes yet! :-D that is a good sign, since SS 6
usually would have produced at least one stop by now.

the only thing i need to do now is get my old amp switches running, but
i am trying to get that problem fixed in a different thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=41578

once that is running, i think i am fixed and happy. if SC7 didnt fix
the problem after all, i'll be back. ;-)

--
dcote