haunyack;271678 Wrote:
> I'm in total agreement.
> Can you imagine the junior, underpaid, under-geek finding a vintage
> release or two and deciding that he needs a copy, then while pilfering
> a copy for himself, drops the original on the floor?
> Then decides that he should clean it up a bit and gets out the bottle
> of glass cleaner and a paper towel?
>
> The myriad of possibilities makes me want to lock my collection up in a
> safe.
>
> .

A ripping business I'm sure would have an automated setup with a
robotic arm that would load the discs into the reader from a hopper and
use some special database.   Though somebody has to load the hopper!
:-)

Regarding providing a customer with a rip from a previous customer's
disc - that wouldn't fly when the customer comes in with the latest and
greatest remastered release and find that his ripped copy ends up being
the initial disc release from the late 80's!

Ripping and tagging is a bit of a pain.  Yes, it is labor intensive and
we are all worth more than $3.00/hr.  But once you have a process set
up, you can do it as a background task while watching TV.  I set my
laptop on a snack tray in front of the TV along with an external USB
hard drive and my Plextor in a USB enclosure.  I'll rip a stack of
25-50 discs in an evening while sitting with my wife on the couch.
Before bed, I plug it into a desktop box to convert to FLAC overnight.
In the morning, I tag 'em using foobar2000.  That takes about 20 sec.
Then I use foobar to make my mp3's.  A couple hours later, it is done!
Next evening (or the evening after that), repeat.

Part of the problem I think is that we live in a society that expects
instant gratification.  In the SB context, this means "I have a SB and
my server set up, tomorrow I want to be able to access my entire 2000
CD collection with it!".  You have to take a deep breath before you
start and need to accept that it is going to take time.  Prioritize
what discs you must have - do those first.  Then get to those that you
feel like listening to at the moment.  Then perhaps you chose some that
have been collecting dust that you'd like to rediscover.  Before you
know it, you are 3/4 through your colleciton!  Oh, and new stuff you
obtain takes priority.  I've disciplined myself that I can't listen to
new purchases until they've been ripped onto my server.

--
maggior