dwilliams01;277468 Wrote:
> I've got a Dennon DVD 3910 and when I first got my SB3 I did some
> side-by-side and blind tests.  I made sure that the player had
> processing turned off by using the "Direct" and "Pure Direct" modes.
> There seemed to be a difference between "normal" and the direct modes
> of the player (it was doing something), but I couldn't tell a
> difference between the player's direct modes and and the SB3.  I always
> had the Reciever's (Denon AVR-4306) processing turned on to adjust for
> balance, timing, room accoustic handling, etc.  I also make sure that
> the SB3's volume control doesn't do anything to the digital outputs -
> not sure if that would have any impact on precieved sound "quality" or
> "richness", though, if the end volume was the kept the same.
>
> I also ripped the CDs to flac using EAC and checked with AccurateRip to
> confirm a good rip.  I COULD tell a difference between the highest
> bitrate mp3 and a CD every time.
>
> On the pratical side it matters little what is "right", it is your ears
> and perception that is important - perhaps you could adjust your
> reciever to process the sound to make it "better" to your ears?  In the
> past I've liked modes like "Jazz Club", etc. because they give a warmer
> feel...

Good to read that you have other experiences with flac usage. Reading
that you hear differences in highest MP3 bitrate vs CD sound confincing
enough for me to doubt my test case. I'll setup another one to
re-evaluate the CD vs .FLAC comparison.

Also thanks to all other who reacted. I'll take the advise given into
account. Hopefully I may be able to do some testing this weekend. I'll
let you know the outcome.

Frank

--
SilverRS8