larrettp;283388 Wrote:
> Yes, I do have shuffle on and, to my mind, the system should be able to
> cope with this. I want all my favourite songs available at any time in
> a random order.

You're running on a very underpowered piece of hardware, there are
limits.

> This seems to be a universal problem and NOBODY is addressing it.

How do you know nobody is addressing it? AFAIK quite a bit of work has
been done on the DB and general data layer in the last couple of
versions.

> Obviously, the database structure is inefficient (I am a DB2 Database
> Administrator professionally so I can recognise where the problems
> lies). If that is coupled with inefficient SQL, the results are bound
> to be slow. The size of the database should be irrelevant if proper
> indexing is used.

I'm sure everyone would benefit from your expertise if you fancied
doing some optimization!

> Thanks for the tip about the plug-ins. Where do I find them and how do
> I install them. Also, why aren't they supplied as standard?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerPlugins

They're not supplied as standard because they're not part of the
default supported package. That's what plugin means.

--
radish