Try not to write off the audioengine5's based on the 'boominess' reviews
here without listening to them first. I find that as long as you don't
place the speakers too close to the rear wall or room corners then they
deliver a tight and musical bass. I've listened to almost all of the
speakers mentioned by the others here and really like the 5's. I
especially find the midrange very sweet and smooth which I find makes
even harsh recordings sound better than on super-high resolving
speakers. They are a good bargain IMO and definitely worth an audition.

--
ptrainer