>- Artist View (Home->Artists): when ALBUMARTIST tag is present in file,
>then regardless of whether the album is compilation or not, it should
>not go into Various Artist area. It should be listed as <ALBUM> by
><ALBUMARTIST> and be listed under ALBUMARTISTS in artist list
>(Home->Artists->ALBUMARTIST). Right now compilation albums, even though
>they are displayed as <ALBUM> by <ALBUMARTIST>, are grouped under
>Home->Artists->Various Artists.

Yes, I'd agree with that, although I think it's a bit clearer to think of the
rule as follows:

"When the scanner finds and album with an album artist tag, set Compilation=No".

i.e. the fault is in the scanner that builds the library from scanning source
files.

>- Album View (Home->Albims): When album is listed like <ALBUM> by
><SOMETHING>, regardless of what is that SOMETHING is, sorting should
>follow the general sorting rule of the list. If it is just by <Album>,
>then everything is OK, if it is by <Artist, Album>, than <SOMETHING>
>should be treated as artist and sort should effectively become
><Something, Album>. Right now, compilations with albumartist are listed
>as <ALBUM>by<ALBUMARTIST> but sorted (ina case of <Artist, Album> sort)
>among albums whose artist start with 'V' or are 'Various Artists'.

I found this para harder to interpret.  I think it's generally covered by the
first point though - if there is an album artist, the album should not be
considered a compilation.  This would fix the second problem (above)?  i.e.
there should never be an album with an album artist and a Compilation flag -
they are mutually exclusive.

I think it's important to:
1. Work out what SC currently does.  Perhaps document these rules in the wiki.
This willl benefit everyone, esp. when yet another thread on the same problems
comes along in the future!
2. Document any actual clear problems/bugs with these rules.
3. Keep additional enhancement requests separate from (2).

Phil