larrettp;303722 Wrote:
> I totally agree with all that you say about the Read/Write tradeoff.
> I've downloaded MySQL to my Mac and I'm currently experimenting with a
> few interesting combinations. I also found that the many-to-many
> records have Foreign Keys (with CASCADE ON DELETE) on them, which could
> be affecting things. I realise that this is a case of making the
> database fit the code - which is the wrong way round - but I don't want
> to instigate any code changes at the moment until I've proved the
> principle.
>
> As for the size of my playlists, there shouldn't be a limit on such
> things (iTunes doesn't have one and it handles them instantly). I just
> have very eclectic taste and I enjoy the element of surprise!
>
> More news later when I've finished the tests I'm currently running.

Hi there - please ignore my comment about playlists as I don't use
them...but I do design very large (>10Tb) commercial databases for a
living!

(OK so they don't use MySQL...but the general principles tend to
apply!)

That "cascade on delete" looks worrying :o) - also, what are these m:m
relationships? - they tend to not work at all! (I'm a third-normal form
type of guy :o) )

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables