Where is your normal listening volume ? Your hopefully aware of that the
digital volume is reducing bits so the noisefloor is creeping closer.
What amp or dac is the SB connected to you could just try the volume on
that instead, and use the full volume of the SB to see if the problem
goes away.

I don't have the spec for the SB digital volume in my head. In
conjuction with the built in dac i think it operates from 24bits so
this will only be a problem with low volumes.
I don't know how the bit reducing thing works from the digital out I
asume it starts with 16bits and lowers from there, I'm not aware off
any uppsampling in the SB

Do you have a very loud system ? with lots off gain and efficient
speakers.

--
Mnyb